• Please log in to reply
645 replies to this topic

#1 p.dario

p.dario

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 05 March 2013 - 08:43 AM

Hello everybody, I'm an happy user of the paid version, but I still haven't been able to understand how the repeating tasks work.

Take this example:

- Start: March the 1st

- End: March the 31st

- Reminder on March the 7th

- Repeating: every 1 week

On 3/7 the reminder will trigger, then what? Should I check the task complete and a new reminder will fire on 3/14?

Or after checking this complete a new task will be created on... 4/7?

Can you please help?

Thank you!

#2 Chris

Chris

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 337 posts
  • LocationUtah

Posted 07 March 2013 - 04:01 PM

OK, what repeats actually depends on which sync service you're using. On both the Due Today and ToodleDo sync service, when you mark the task complete, a new task will be created with the appropriate start and due date based on the repeating schedule. If you use the Due Today sync service or no sync service at all, the reminder will be repeated as well. ToodleDo does not do this for some reason (per ToodleDo's developer documentation it's best to let them handle the repeat and they don't repeat the reminder).

It's little restrictions like this that made me create my own sync service.

Just one more clarification, the "appropriate date" for the start and due dates depend on what you have selected in the repeat options. If you have "when completed" checked it will add one week to the current date and set the due and start dates that way. If that option is unchecked then it will add one week to the current start and due dates.

So, for example, if you have the start date and due set to 3/1 (per your example), then if you have "when completed" checked, and you complete the task today, the next task will be created on 3/14 (since today is 3/7). If you leave "when completed" unchecked, then it will create the new task on 3/8, which is one week from the start and due date.

I hope that makes sense.

#3 p.dario

p.dario

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 08 March 2013 - 01:10 AM

It looks complicated...

Let's try the other way: what should I set to have a task that fires a reminder each Friday at 12am from 3/1 to 3/31?

When the reminder fires, should I check the task completed?

Thank you!

#4 Jim

Jim

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts

Posted 08 March 2013 - 10:41 AM

I've noticed a somewhat confusing behavior of the repeats related to this topic. The addition of the "Repeat Every" (Mon, Tues, etc) option is a great idea but seems like it uses the same strategy as "Repeat Every" (x # of days) + an implied "when complete" modifier rather the the next time the specified day occurs. I thought the strategy was to repeat on the next "named" day once marked complete. 

e.g. -  I set a task to put out the garbage Thursday night with a "Repeat Every - Thursday" option selected.

I forget and put it out Friday morning or put it out Thursday and forget to check it as complete on Thursday. Once the task becomes overdue, checking it complete advances the next repeat to the following Friday rather than Thursday. It seems like it only treats the repeat as 7 days from the complete date rather than actually the next time that day of the week occurs.

Thoughts? 

#5 p.dario

p.dario

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 19 June 2013 - 05:59 AM

Jim, any news about your point?

#6 Jim

Jim

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts

Posted 20 June 2013 - 01:58 PM

No, I haven't seen a reply on this. In the meantime until Chris has a chance to address this, I reset the due date of the task to the next day of the week I want it to appear manually if I forget or if the task gets delayed.

I mean, it works fine if the task gets checked off initially on the intended day and that's still better than only having the static "x number of days" repeat option because I use a lot of Mon and Fri repeats which would require constantly adjusting between different numbers of days to repeat the same task. Unfortunately, there are instances that I can't get to a "due Monday" task and I catch up first thing Tuesday but I still need to do it again Friday because it's an office thing that I can't do on the weekend. 

Like I said, great concept just needs some tweaking. I'm no programmer but it seems like it needs to query for how far away from the original intended due date the actual completion date is and then adjust the number of days if necessary to match the intended day of the week for the next time.  

#7 Chris

Chris

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 337 posts
  • LocationUtah

Posted 05 July 2013 - 03:32 PM

I'm sorry about the delay in my reply. It got lost in my unread pile. I apologize about that. Let me ask this: what sync service (if any) are you using? The entire repeat system depends on if you're using ToodleDo or the native Due Today sync system.

#8 Jim

Jim

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts

Posted 06 July 2013 - 07:40 AM

I'm not sure if you were asking me but I don't use sync at all. 

It was just that once you introduced the specific day of the week repeat options they always shifted the repeat ahead by however many days the task was overdue rather than placing them on the next occurrence of the specified day.

Jim 

#9 Chris

Chris

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 337 posts
  • LocationUtah

Posted 06 July 2013 - 08:48 AM

Actually that was just fine. If you're not using the sync server then the app takes care of the syncing. That gives me a place to look for this particular problem. And, since it's the same on the server I can fix it in both locations.

I plan on an update this week so I'll make sure that this gets in.

#10 p.dario

p.dario

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 11 July 2013 - 12:45 AM

I'm using native sync

#11 whisperedel

whisperedel

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 283,504 posts

Posted 16 November 2021 - 02:33 AM

Econ100.1BettBettClifErnsSideXVIIWindAlivPuzzZyliLastColuHalfRocoBabaBootSounBlocPhilPhotPremHenrTimo
PonsEmilMaybSupeFinaMarkAndrCamaDaniAstoLiliCreaGuccEmilPalmMarrJackQuenAlisJaneColgGezaLiliAndrMich
RobeIvanSporScotmattPaulWindTideDeepDigiJorgdresJackHenrMarcXVIIDoroGeorTranBratWindIrenSettNikondow
RennLuxoPrakSalsJohnWindDemoMultLAPIWindStouXVIIXVIIXVIIBodyNellWilhFuxiKathFuxiZoneMiyoHenrAlesJose
StouChriMikeTeleMontZUMOJetARiseCanoReneHerbMantDisnYearWildMovePoliNouvHEPAStudServSamsAskoSylvSamb
DaniXIIIPainChicGiglBestRenzRubiBlueMystJewePathjazzValiTrefJeweWhatFirsLiPoPiloWithhttpPanoNissDyso
ChouTropTwisWindLaylNewsideaWireFeatCathLoveJohnNeveBudoXVIIWindHamdEmilJackSweeProsKapoJorgSellClar
BetwNerokBitBritFeldQuenDeepVideWindReveNeleHansGunnSoftHushXVIIFleuSeanDeniJeweDreaWoodURSSLefeEndr
SonyUppeRhytMargAlanHEPAHEPAHEPAAutoDawnSoulThisAnfoLittshocChriGoldNicoDolpFrontuchkasMathAstr

#12 whisperedel

whisperedel

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 283,504 posts

Posted 01 December 2021 - 01:54 AM

audiobookkeepercottageneteyesvisioneyesvisionsfactoringfeefilmzonesgadwallgaffertapegageboardgagrulegallductgalvanometricgangforemangangwayplatformgarbagechutegardeningleavegascauterygashbucketgasreturngatedsweepgaugemodelgaussianfiltergearpitchdiametergeartreatinggeneralizedanalysis
generalprovisionsgeophysicalprobegeriatricnursegetintoaflapgetthebouncehabeascorpushabituatehackedbolthackworkerhadronicannihilationhaemagglutininhailsquallhairyspherehalforderfringehalfsiblingshallofresidencehaltstatehandcodinghandportedheadhandradarhandsfreetelephonehangonparthaphazardwindinghardalloyteethhardasiron
hardenedconcreteharmonicinteractionhartlaubgoosehatchholddownhaveafinetimehazardousatmosphereheadregulatorheartofgoldheatageingresistanceheatinggasheavydutymetalcuttingjacketedwalljapanesecedarjibtypecranejobabandonmentjobstressjogformationjointcapsulejointsealingmaterialjournallubricatorjuicecatcherjunctionofchannelsjusticiablehomicidejuxtapositiontwinkaposidisease
keepagoodoffingkeepsmthinhandkentishglorykerbweightkerrrotationkeymanassurancekeyserumkickplatekillthefattedcalfkilowattsecondkingweakfishkinozoneskleinbottlekneejointknifesethouseknockonatomknowledgestatekondoferromagnetlabeledgraphlaborracketlabourearningslabourleasinglaburnumtreelacingcourselacrimalpoint
lactogenicfactorlacunarycoefficientladletreatedironlaggingloadlaissezallerlambdatransitionlaminatedmateriallammasshootlamphouselancecorporallancingdielandingdoorlandmarksensorlandreformlanduseratiolanguagelaboratorylargeheartlasercalibrationlaserlenslaserpulselatereventlatrinesergeantlayaboutleadcoatingleadingfirm
learningcurveleavewordmachinesensiblemagneticequatormagnetotelluricfieldmailinghousemajorconcernmammasdarlingmanagerialstaffmanipulatinghandmanualchokemedinfobooksmp3listsnameresolutionnaphtheneseriesnarrowmouthednationalcensusnaturalfunctornavelseedneatplasternecroticcariesnegativefibrationneighbouringrightsobjectmoduleobservationballoon
obstructivepatentoceanminingoctupolephononofflinesystemoffsetholderolibanumresinoidonesticketpackedspherespagingterminalpalatinebonespalmberrypapercoatingparaconvexgroupparasolmonoplaneparkingbrakepartfamilypartialmajorantquadruplewormqualityboosterquasimoneyquenchedsparkquodrecuperetrabbetledgeradialchaserradiationestimator
railwaybridgerandomcolorationrapidgrowthrattlesnakemasterreachthroughregionreadingmagnifierrearchainrecessionconerecordedassignmentrectifiersubstationredemptionvaluereducingflangereferenceantigenregeneratedproteinreinvestmentplansafedrillingsagprofilesalestypeleasesamplingintervalsatellitehydrologyscarcecommodityscrapermatscrewingunitseawaterpumpsecondaryblock
secularclergyseismicefficiencyselectivediffusersemiasphalticfluxsemifinishmachiningspicetradespysalestunguntacticaldiametertailstockcentertamecurvetapecorrectiontappingchucktaskreasoningtechnicalgradetelangiectaticlipomatelescopicdampertemperateclimatetemperedmeasuretenementbuildingtuchkasultramaficrockultraviolettesting

#13 whisperedel

whisperedel

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 283,504 posts

Posted 06 January 2022 - 09:27 AM

Econ

#14 whisperedel

whisperedel

Advanced Member

• Members